The Elevens

From: Martin Laurie <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 03 Feb 97 17:00:16 EST

David Cake comments:
>Roderick Robertsons suggestion of the Lunar Foreign Legion is EXCELLENT. A
>fine fine basis for a campaign. The Elevens probably are a good candidate
>too - more noble than the Danfive Xarons, yet known to include criminals
>and madmen. I always figured they kind of died out, but its quite possible
>they still exist. So, why don't they show up in Dragon Pass, KOS, etc ? -
>obviously the poor bastards are out in the Redlands, in lonely dessert
>forts defending against Pentan aggression, or other unknown hell holes on
>the edge of Empire - of course, later in the Hero Wars they could do
>anything IYG.

The Elevens almost did die out IMO and this was largely the result of the control over the penal and slave institutions that Dafive Xaron exerts by Imperial Edict. The Elevens are now only strong in Alkoth, if a mere 1000 men can be considered strong. They are recruited from the local population of wrong doers and the slaves of Saird, Sylila and all the old land of Henjarl.

What they've been up to is relatively little, just like most Shargashi. The wars in the South have Shargashi in them but more as individuals or small bands than regiments due to the problem of "Shargashi critical mass" when large numbers of them act in concert and wipe out a city, bringing Shargash closer to being unleashed.

The Elevens operate on the fringes of the lunar military, even less respectable than the Danfive Xaron penal cohorts in Lunar circles though far more repectable in Dara Happan military minds, they are still the scum of the earth to everyone and treated in many ways like the French Foreign Legion was.

As they only operate in small groups and are not full Shargashi, there is less danger of them being as utterly destructive as full Shargashi (who have the full cycle of life and death within them) and so they are deployed in many battles of which some would be:

The Storming of Boldhome
The Assault on Wilmskirk
The Raiding of the Telmori
The Crushing of Malkonwal
and many more smaller engagements.

However, they would definately have a fort to themselves on the edges of the Redlands, probably the furthest East of them all, deep into the nomads territory.

Here, cursed Shargashi go to forget....

Martin Laurie

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #159