Gods and Time

From: Joseph Troxell <jmt107_at_psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 08:58:24 -0500

I'm a little confused about the gods and time. The gods are outside of time, and do not understand time. Yet, they must understand sequencing, for example Orlanth had to kill Yelm before the Lightbringer's Quest. Understanding a sequence implies that they must understand time as well since Yelm was slain *before* the Lightbringer's Quest. So, it would seem that the gods must have some idea of "has happened, is happening, will happen." Further, in Wyrm's Footprints, in the Temple of the Wooden Sword story, the Humakti divination when one of their number is going to give birth. As far as not understanding time, if the gods understand some form of past/present/future, why haven't one of their worshippers been able to explain it yet? It seems like the gods must have some understanding of at least past/present/future based on what I've read, or am I missing something?