ideas.....

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 07:38:00 -0600

Steve Martin on published material:

> But when and/or if a new Gloranthan game comes out, people on the Digest
> are going to need to do more than have _ideas_ about Yelm and Shargash,
> more than what has appeared in the fanzines, more than discussions. If
> Chaosium does not receive submissions, no matter what their intent is,
> nothing will be published.

        I spoke to Greg at GenCon (maybe eight years ago), about possibly sending him some RuneQuest/Gloranthan material. He told me, "I don't need ideas. I have all the ideas I can possibly use. What I need is playable adventures." (or words to that effect)

        Sitting down and generating "this week's adventure" was quite difficult back when I was running a game; generating a module that is usable by anyone who picks it up, (ie, without a campaign background that you can count the players to know & remember) has got to be much more difficult. I talked about doing it, but my one attempt (for Champions, as it happens) never really got off the ground. The ICE people just dropped me one day, without any explanation...

        Such efforts are most likely to be a labor of love, as there is no money to be made it this sort of thing. Even before the card-games started shrinking the rest of the games market, the payment for such efforts was minimal.

        I doubt very much that Chaosium would bring out a new Gloranthan game without preparing at least four refernce supplements (with plot hooks) in advance, but they need a game system first! Don't hold your breath...

        Any comments Rob? You back in the office yet?

                Andrew