Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #159

From: Frederic J-M Moulin <moulinfr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 09:41:21 -0500

>I don't buy this at all. As a GM for years and years now, with over 50
>different players in that time who I would say represented a wide range of
both
>British and North American roleplayers - the vast majority love to play but
have
>no real interest in the game or game world for its own sake. If I stopped
>running my games tommorrow my players would miss my GMing but not RQ or
>Glorantha - they'd just get someone to run something less complex.
In my experience, most of my players would actually miss RuneQuest/CoC game system, but certainly not Glorantha, and not the kind of discussion that goes on and on on that digest... Sorry for the desappointment, but this is really the "Glorantha Scholar" list, and very little is actually usable for GMing without massive overall.
We used to have a "Gaming" list: it was called RQ-rules, and I have good hope to see it reappears some day, probably if AH ever comes out with some non-glorantha products. In the mean time, I am running a campaign with the RuneQuest system and the ICE MERP products, and my players love it: They don't miss Glorantha a bit, and I get new products at a reasonably frequent interval.
When I was in Chicago for GC IV, I asked the rep. from Chaosium about the futur of Glorantha, and he told me that, as of now, it appears to by tied to the success of the hypothetical figurine game they plan to design with an Italian gaming company within the next year... This does'nt give me a lot of hope.
In the mean time, Chaosium is making money from other products (card games...)

>Because of this I think its very depressing and annoying that in the two years
>I've been on the digest I've never seen a post by Greg which simply defies
>belief that he doesn't pay any attention to the ideas that well forth here.
>Sandy has dropped off totally (and is sorely missed) and I have never seen a
>single survey done by Chaosium of what WE the CONSUMER want from Glorantha.
Its
>like the people on this list don't exist and if thats the case, thats the worst
>marketing I've ever seen.

It's probably because the people on this list represent such a small share of the market that really no-one but themselves care about them. Obviously you are not what Chaosium considers to be the major consumers.

>Does this sound even remotely fair to the fans of Glorantha?
Nope, but that's the way it is. Sadly
Frederic