Will's comments

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 11:36:00 -0800

Will -

Mighty nice of you to offer to help people obtain KOS. Give yourself a "Generous" check!

You provided nice examples of legally inspired campaign plots.

> In any campaign with a follower of Eurmal. The conscious (or not so
conscious) decision to become an outcast is not one to be taken lightly, it
is important for the game master to communicate the dangerous position that
the trickster occupies in society. This character can be robbed/exploited/physically abused/verbally abused/even killed without any
legal repercussions. He can also be hired to perform actions that no other
member of the society is allowed to.

This was perhaps the most dramatic recent event in our Dragon Pass campaign.

The Varmandi clan was beset by broo, so we decided to preform the "summons of evil" ritual to draw them to us and kill them, rather than ineffctually chasing them all throughout the hills. To do this, we gathered lots of bits of straw, scraps, and unlucky things - the heads of calves that died, rotten cabbages, and some other stuff. The idea was to make figurines for the Summoned to possess, but we wanted to curse them with unluck at the same time. (Why not stack the deck?) The problem was that whoever assembled these figurings would be cursed as well, and we didn't want the bad luck affecting the clan.

What we needed was a scapegoat. We thought about capturing some poor Hiording and forcing him to do it, or forcing a thrall to do it and then casting him out, but several clan members thought that this was too unjust. Finally, Asborn Gunnarsson volunteered. His Father, Gunnar, was one of the wealthiest men in the vale and a member of the clan ring.   Gunnar tried to forbid Asborn from doing this, and then threated to thow him out of the stead if he did. Asborn insisted. We all tried to talk him out of it, but Asborn (a PC), remained insistant. Finally we relented, and Asborn went in and assembeled the figurines.

We performed the Summons of Evil successfully, and the broos were gone. Afterwards, Maniski Varmandsson drove Asborn out of the clan violently - an act which Asborn hadn't really expected. We all spoke of Asborn as being dead. The character's new name was "Horselegs", because he was an excellent rider. Horselegs had to go live with the Colymar for the winter, because none would take him in for the remainder of the year. (He was still unlucky.)

After Sacred Time, Baranthos hired Horselegs to work on his stead as a warrior & cattle guard. Because he is under Baranthos' protection, Horselegs is welcome at most clan functions, but not at the ring, not is he asked to participate in any rituals other than those involving Eurmal. (Haven't had any since the Summons.) He is always invoked by the clan when it's time to do something really foolhardy - like investigate with the wierd EWF artifact...

Poor Horselegs cannot now afford a wife. He stole a carl's daughter from the Orleving, but Baranthos would not have an Orleving under his roof. Horselegs then tried to keep her at Theyastead, but Theya sensibly sent the woman back to the Orleving the following day.

Horseleg's PC always enjoys playing tricksters, but he is continually discovering just what he has gotten himself in for. The clan speaks glowingly of poor, deceased Asborn, but they kick and scoff at Horselegs.

Pam