time

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 14:02:33 +1300

Joseph Troxell:

>I'm a little confused about the gods and time. The gods are outside of
>time, and do not understand time. [snipped reasoning] It seems like
>the gods must have some understanding of at least past/present/future
>based on what I've read, or am I missing something?

I generally interpret 'outside of time' to mean that the gods* exist in a world which is largely unchanging and changes only as a result of mortal impressions. This is largely a God Learner description of the Godplane as they found it.

The Gods do have an understanding of time insofar as they encompass their worshipper's understanding of the Cosmos. Since a human understands how time works, so do the Gods.

The Gods cannot forsee the future to any great extent. A divination can reveal when certain events might take place but these are not infallible. A prophecy that such and such will give birth at a certain date will be rendered invalid if the person was killed by a troll before the date concerned.

*meaning the conception the central genertelan theists have of them. Others believe that the theists are deluding themselves by creating gods in their own image. The Sun, they claim, is not a man but a great ball of fire.