March or Die: The Emperor's Red-Headed Step-Children?

From: gswitzer_at_loop.com
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:16:44 -0800

        In #154 Roderick Robertson asked about the possibility of a Lunar Foreign Legion and David Cake, Martin Laurie, MOB, and Jose Ramos gave some excellent answers/replies. I hope my efforts measure up.

        In the GB2, pg.64 it says "For several generations [after the Battle of the Nights of Horror] the tribes of Pent sent all their red-headed children as hostages to agents of the Lunar Empire. These peoples formed bands of travel- hardened caravaneers who annually travelled across the wastelands to and from Kralorea. Trusted agents of the Lunar Empire, yet kinsmen to the nomads, they never reported the great changes they must have observed among the nomads."

        The Emperor Celestinus (ruled 6/41-7/3) began this trade sometime in the 1560's according to the FS and is a likely candidate for forming such a unit to protect the route from Palbar in Oraya Sultanate to the lands of the Red Hair tribe in Pent. Since the supply of red-headed children might be somewhat irregular, it would be natural to dip into the local Teelo Nori orphanages or recruit barbarians and forgeigners to fill out the ranks. Besides, why should the uncouth Orlanthis be the only ones to have Fun with Henna? :)

        I wonder who the Lunar Capt. Danjou was? Perhaps a renegade elf? That would explain where the wooden hand in the casket comes from. Danjou would likely wind up being the regimental cult hero. Any takers?

        'Legio Luna Nostra' The Legion is our Moon!

        Gary R. Switzer--Aero Hobbies