Introducing newcomers, kudos to Jose

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:28:57 +0100

Trent Smith and Paolo Guccione have it about right on the relative value of the obscure and the practical in my view. Introducing new players can be done by existing referees but they need to tailor their writing to the task. Isolated societies are good for this - preferably ones with relatively simple religious systems. I have used the Balazarings of Griffin Mountain fame and an isolated Malkioni community in eastern Ralios with some success for this purpose.
_

If entirely new blood is to be introduced, including new referees, what is needed is playable scenario packs which include all of the detail a referee needs to run a culture and just enough background on surrounding cultures to provide the foreign flavour of the opposition.
_

An ideal structure to such a scenario pack might be: 40% background on a particular clan of Pentan nomads, 50% on the plot - deal with the Lunars at Redhair Place, and 10% on the Lunars they are likely to meet. This would be entirely oriented to the plot. Thus it might include details about a Danfive Xaron unit and an Etyries trader but nothing on the Red Goddess of the metaphysics of the Blue Moon Cult.
_

Such scenarios would be marketed as ready to run - only the rules would be needed.
_

Of course I don't expect anything like this to see the light of day....
_

In the meantime the Digest is a useful source of inspiration. Actually it's a little like blue-sky scientific research; you can never tell which bits of obscure writing are going to be useful to someone. However, the more real game applications you can suggest for your Digest creativity the better I reckon.
_

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte.co.uk