Lunar and Spanish Armies

From: Jose Ramos <Jose.Ramos_at_univ-angers.fr>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 19:04:19 +0000

Dedicated in whole to James Frusetta

Why do you continue to spell "Mayor" Major? Your historian has now all the Real Academia de La Lengua going after him. Spanish is a serious language, with an institution to guarantee it evolves tha right way. And yes, I am Spanish.

The fact that Lunar regiments are religious as well as mundane entities (as are most groups of more than x people in Glorantha) means that the careerists will be high in the regiment cult, and even if they are traditionally subservient to Moonson or Yelm Imperator types, the political appointee risks a serious magical backlash if he ignores his NCOs.

        I am not proposing a similar model to the Renaissance professional armies. However I think that for the Imperial Bodyguard and Heortland corps the posts are political, and the prestige of leading one of this units is payed in cash. In normal situations the Imperial Treasury pays the troops
(with delays, money lost in some intermediaries, new equipment "forgotten"
proportionally to the distance to Glamour). In campaing, you get the money as you can. The support for Fazzur's Esrolian adventure could be the troops seeking booty to compensate the last years wages that have not arrived. Also remember that the Thirty Years War troops usually went by foot, in distances much greater than Genertela. Genertela is really small. And the Lunars have Magic roads to transport troops south faster. The response time would be slower at the "Decision Center" that the actual time taken to send the troops to Sartar.

        All of this of course is IMO, and only for the real professionals
(IB, HC). And historically almost any army well payed had more loyalty to
their commanders than to their kings, even the Romans. Specially the Romans :-)

        And the problem with your scenario is that getting Jar-Eel in your side is a synonim of being the "rightful" Red Emperor.

        And most of the Lunar Manoeuvre army is professional. Only the provincials are militia.

        We disagree a lot so our positions must be really similar. The real risk in following RW equivalents is to draw too many equivalencies from the same source. Mix and mash!

Jose Ramos