iron

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 11:25:39 +1300

David Cake:

> Well, we don't have any real general rule for anti-magic in
>Glorantha - whose to say the rules as written don't mimic the way the
>anti-magic of unenchanted iron works?

Because they yield asinine barbarities if exploited. Ergo the roolz as written are incomplete.

>Anti-magic
>spells like countermagic, on the other hand, are strictly divided between
>those that affect existing spells and those that stop new spells -
>suggesting the division is a real one, which suggests that it is certainly
>possible that unenchanted iron works only one way.

Countermagic is a spell which creates a overall field. Raw Iron affects _all_ spells targetted at the person regardless of whether he is wearing armour in that location or not. If I cast a heal spell on someone with a cut on his knee then his iron helmet will affect the success of the spell according to the roolz. Likewise if I cast an offensive spell that affects a specific hit location, the iron worn is still effective no matter where it is worn. Clearly the presence of the iron on the person has a strong nullifying effect with respect to magic and it looks totally artificial IMO that one should be able to retain cast magic underneath a suit of iron armour. Methinks the spell would eventually degrade due to the close proximity of the wearer with the iron.

>So, Peter, suggest rules changes!

I believe I already have.