Malkioni and runes

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 12:42:23 +1300

Andrew O. Mellinger:

>Most of the [Malkioni] Sects allow some sort of intercaste movement,
>if the person shows that ability or capacity. However, it doesn't really
>talk about caste restrictions. Will most of these be as strict as the
>rokari? Would they allow a person who switch from the Knight caste to the
>Priest caste use their former weapon skills?

Most Caste strictures are less strict than the Rokari and in practice all sects fall short of the written ideal. However Castecrime is still a notorious offence and will be interpreted nowadays in the sense of double dipping, ie you shouldn't practice two roles at once. Most churches would adhere to this interpretations save the Loskalmi.

A Priest who was a former Knight can still use in weapons skills in a pinch. However his church may view this as Caste Crime if it came to their notice and probably demand some penance as a result.

Richard Crawley:

>An upwards pointing arrow?

Pamalt's Rune. I think it's a spear as a similar one appears on the Gods Wall.

>A ring with a diagonal cross across it?

Got me.

>A filled-in earth rune (a solid black square)?

Malign Earth. Known by Maran Gor and Gorgorma.

>A Darkness rune with a horizontal line across it sticking
>out each side.

Shadow. Used by Moorgarki and Gorgorma.

>A (playing card type) diamond?

Ice. An abomination IMHO.

>Two concentric circles?

Heat. Lodril's rune.

>A Darkness rune with a hole in the middle?

Cold. Himile's rune.

>A diagonal cross with the outline of a (diagonally mounted)
>square? (sorry I can't phrase that better)

Dragonpower. Used by Godunya and the Path of Immanent Mastery. Only found in Kralorela.

Paolo Guccione:

>If we assume
>that most mercenaries are peasants, the Safelstran equivalent of the
>Japanese ashigaru, this leaves out all mercenaries belonging to Rokari
>and Rokari-derived churches if they do not want to risk excommunication.

I wouldn't really worry about the social status of mercenaries. The Rokari taboos on fighting are similar IMO to the RW church's prohibition on crossbows. Any pious Wizard who goes around excommunicating mercenaries at the front obviously wants to live forever.