Black Arkat

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 15:39:30 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

Me>>Rather Black Arkat was once a cult in which Heortlings
>>could enter the service of the Only Old One and form a trusted
>>corp of quislings, spies and pinko fag commie subversives.

>Wouldn't serving the avatar of Argan Argar be considered darkness
>worship?

Perhaps, but considering that Arkat gave back the lands of Palangio to the Only Old One, I have the impression that he ruled as the Grand Master of this cult. Perhaps he gave orders via a leaden head?

>IMO Black Arkat is the cult to get into if you have a powerful enemy you
>want to destroy at whatever cost. Its association with Zorak Zoran is a
>useful way to avoid beginning your afterlife as a zombie (you get some of
>the powers without entering ZZ).

I don't think that Black Arkat has an association with Zorak Zoran. The RQIII Trollpak reference I interpret as being a reference to the cult of Arkat having strong ties in Ralios with Zorak Zoran (ie Zorakarkat).

[Godunya-like mechanics for Black Arkat:]

>Out of curiosity: once I expended one of my spells, does this lower the
>maximum manipulation by one for the next spell?

I'd say no, but we are straying into runepower territory here...

>I don't really think that joining Black Arkat makes you a Malkioni. IMO
>Black Arkat describes the stage of Arkat in which he turned to Zorak Zoran
>and devastated southern Peloria.

I disagree. The battle of Darnstiggi is probably the battle of Hangalium in which the Tribes of Saird surrendered. Since Arkat was a Troll by the time of the battle, I don't think Black Arkat is him devastating south Peloria.

To use your theory, Black Arkat is Arkat being spiritually consumed by the poison in the wound he had recieved. That was the state in which he fought in the landing at Kethaela and before he had made contact with his mother-to-be or joined the cult of Zorak Zoran.

James Frusetta:

JR>> the Lunars have Magic roads to transport troops south faster.

>I hadn't heard that before -- if it's not canon, it should be! Or a spell
>that makes them march faster, or something. Some big neat ritual. Or
>special roads just for the army.

He's referring to the Daughter's autobahn that runs from Jillaro to Mirin's Cross. Yes, there is a speed limit but the only traffic warden is blind...