clocks

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 12:12:34 +1300

V S Greene:

> Assuming that the sun in Glorantha casts shadows, it should work. I''m
>not sure that Yelmites would use them, as it would be a continual reminder of
>Yelm's binding into time and the loss of the Golden Age.

What do you mean? Only the ignorants believe that Yelm is bound into time. Civilized people know that Yelm rules over the Underworld (which he conquered fair and square BTW) as well as the Inner World and the Heavens and moves around so that he can balance his commitments.

>The Westerners would use them, and while the Mostali would recognise
>the possiblity they probably use mechanical clocks.

The habit of the West is to use hourglasses and waterclocks. While the Mostali seem to be more fascinated with the aeropile (cf GoG) and use that as a timekeeper. This implies that they don't know of the pendulum.

> It suddenly strikes me; do the Gloranthans have structures like the
>European megaliths or Amerind medicine wheels to mark the change of seasons?

The Orlanthi and the Pelandans have them but I'm uncertain of the time keeping functions that they use it for.