What I Want to See

From: Michael O'Brien <michael.obrien_at_actf.com.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 18:04:00

G'day all,

What I Want to See

More from Martin Laurie
>I and many others have been waiting for the Glorantha fiction
>guidelines for a long time now but there seems little point because if they can't
>even agree that the game is to be brought out as an RPG then how is there going
>to be any fiction?

There were Fiction Guidelines once, for the Argrath anthology. Ironically, these guidelines (which went for many pages) went into such prescriptive detail that some prospective writers (including myself) were scared off trying to write to them. However, they were specific to this particular project.

>Here's a quick survey - WRITE IN IF YOU HAVE IDEAS YOU"D LOVE TO
>SUBMIT FOR PUBLICATION - WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE WRITTEN?
>Lets here from the 544 people on this list - come on all - lets tell everone our
>views, it'll just take a second or two to write it.

I don't want to write these, but I'd sure like to see 'em in print!

  1. A statement from AH & Chaosium clarifying the RQ/Glorantha situation once-and-for-all (put the dog out of its misery and give it the bullet, that's what I say...)
  2. Submissions Guidelines for Gloranthan roleplaying manuscripts
  3. Submissions Guidelines for Gloranthan fiction

Esoteric Wisdom?

Jim Chapin (who shares my pain at the death of senior ecclesiastical figures):
>The result of this continuing ambivalence "at the top" is that, in
>organizational terms, we are now a cadre rather than a mass organization.
>That is to say, we have a small number of Glorantha addicts who are highly
>"mobilized" while there are relatively few supporters at lower levels of
>involvement. This tends to have two effects. First, the level of
>"sophistication" of the cadre tends to increase in a way that makes its beliefs
>less accessible to outsiders. Second, the increasing lack of connection to
>outsiders tends to make internal debates more esoteric and less useful.

Yep, Pope Jim's comments make me think we might be in danger of turning into a RW equivalent of the Cult of Immanent Mastery, learning, digesting and babbling esoteric wisdom that is pretty much incomprehensible and meaningless to outsiders.

>By the way, MOB, if you've gotten that far, I think that the (relatively
>unknown) Confederate campaign into New Mexico (with appropriate adjustments)
>would make a great Lunar campaign.

Yep, I agree! The officers would have to be from Sylila then, as RickMeints has somehow convinced us when we were playing through "The Hunt for Red Storm Season" that they speak with a Southern drawl. (BTW, I have found old Shelby's coverage of the sometimes-neglected western theatre quite illuminating!

Cheers

MOB PS I really enjoyed James Frusetta's 'weird Troll Art schtick' the other day! This sort of stuff brightens up the Digest (or dulls it down from a trollish perspective, though this is still a compliment!)

>From the Notes From Nochet files:
(XXIX. 334.91) Anbjorn Ragnarsson, Storm Voice of Orlanth is unfortunately confusing the defense of orthodoxy with propagation of heresy. If he would like to debate this matter further, I can give him the number of Mercartor's room in the temple (being sworn to the God of Truth, I could scarcely deny him this interesting factual snippet). Clement Longhair.