Martin Laurie's Survey

From: WillTwist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:25:58 -0500 (EST)

     Here is a small list of what I would like to see regarding Glorantha:

  1. More SLEAZE!!! This was one of the things I loved about the older scenarios, most of the new stuff takes itself a little too seriously. I loved the sordid plots of backstabbings, betrayals, and poisonings. I liked stories of Rune Priests trying to welch out on paying for a beer, Rune Lords still in hock to their temples for the price of their armor, and important NPC's killed for the gold in their fillings. All right, I guess that's enough for the Low Fantasy Vote.
  2. For new players I would like to see scenarios that are easy to open and play. The great thing about River of Cradles and Shadows on the Borderlands was that they had the important information which a new GM would need to know. It's not fair to tell a new player that they are going to need to dig up a White Wolf #20 for a complete description of Lodril in order to better play this scenario. I'm not saying that they need to be completely self-contained, but that the support material be easily available (ie Gods of Glorantha).
  3. For myself, I would like detailed descriptions of major players in the Hero Wars. I'm not talking about stats for Arduin, but background information. When I work on major scenarios or campaigns I do it from the perspective of the major characters. I am interested in motivations, strengths, weaknesses, short term goals, and long term goals. The action comes about as these goals interfere with player characters' and other non-player characters' goals. These were provided to a degree in Shadows on the Borderlands for both Muriah and the eldest ogre child. As a GM I do not like the idea of a rigid time line, however, I do like to know what each major NPC plans to do in the future and what will happen if the adventuring party does not get involved. These should not only include all of the Major players, but also lesser important characters.
      Thanks All
      -- Will Johnson