Ancestor Cults

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 02:12:47 -0500 (EST)

         I was reading a bit in the paper about Chinese New Year and how it is considered necessary to have a fresh (bought live, killed at the store) chicken for offerings to the ancestors. It struck me that while it seems in Glorantha that the only ancestor worshippers amongst humans are primitives in the sticks, here in the Hub of the Universe (Boston, Mass.) we have people from an ancient and advanced culture who practice ancestor worship.

          I'm thinking that it should be possible to have a non-shamenic ancestor cult in Glorantha. I've seen an example of a sort; I found it in a _Worlds of Wonder_ boxed set I bought used. It was a family cult that honored a specific near-Hero ancestor. _Cults of Prax_ notes that people turn to ancestor worship when they aren't happy with the gods; I think that should not just be in the boonies but in cities. Perhaps a person keeps a talisman or part of the skeleton of an ancestor or ancestors and has a reuseable Worship Ancestor. While one would should still not have a DI, perhaps under certain circumstances they could incarnate a particularly favored and potent ancestor.

          Any thoughts? How blasphemous am I being? :)

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham... I love breen.