Sciffy Glorantha

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 04:33:08 -0500 (EST)

> Starships and Glorantha 6/2/97
> VS Greene said:
> >In the other, Glorantha is a planet around the star "Yelm". The
> universe is much bigger than Gloranthans know. The God Time either didn't
> happen or the planet was once "tide locked" with one side always facing
the
> star. Potentially, aliens could visit. The Federation Starship "Voyager"
> will
> probably visit and lose a shuttle there. :)
>
> While this is just my babbling, I wonder if anybody has tried such
> radically different campaign. Is "Columbis Mercator" from a campaign, MOB?
>
> I have! It was inspired by another Chaosium product, Thieves World, which
> offers mechanisms for integrating the Sanctuary of the Thieves World books
> into a Traveller campaign.
>
> In my version, the PCs' out of control starship (which they didn't know
how
> to operate - it's a long story) crashed into the swamps near Duck Point. I
> was young and silly then.
>
> Bill

        Thieves World brings up another "alt.glorantha" actually. One of the ways of using that set with _Traveller_ was to assume that Sanctuary was part of a computer game. Now suppose that the whole of Glorantha is actually in a computer; it's a simulation or game or even place for people's personalities to be uploaded after "death". Chaos is a sort of computer virus. The God Learners were rewriting the program's code, and got splatted by guardian programs. The Invisible God/Creator is the sysop/programmer. Hero Quests are trips to saved games or something. Illuminates _know_ that they are part of a computer program.

        If one were to run a campaign like this, I'd suggest leaving the true nature of the universe a secret to be discovered, and make it the main story arc.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham... I love breen.