Re: Archery

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 97 22:32 MET

David Dunham replied to my complaint

>> To my profound distress (as an archer) there are no traditions of the
>> longbow in Genertelan human warfare.

>Possibly because they're part of a higher technology level than Chaosium
>would like,

There isn't that much technology involved in recognising that a staff of Yew, carefully dried and split through the core, provides an excellent bow, compared to the _really_ complex technology of making more than plaything bows from Impala or Sable horns, fish glue from Zola Fel, and Bison sinew... The Anglons knew yew longbows already during the height of the Roman Empire (Danish swamp findings, some of which exhibited in Schleswig, where I work).

>or they'd like to reserve them for dragonewts.

who make them of strange materials, again with a lot more technology involved than simple yew sticks. A longbow is essentially a self bow made from selected wood. The string might cause some problem, but less so than for any recurved horn bow, which will subject it to greater stress. The latter are common in Glorantha...

>As an archer, you'll just have to take solace in gods like Golden Bow,
>Urengerum/Sagittus, Kuschile, etc.

No way. The patron of Orlanthi archers is Jorganos Vingkotsson, called Archer. Available as subcult of either Elmal or Orlanth, whoever is dominant in your region...

Since this cult evidently isn't very numerous, I might even give them longbows. Jorganos' bow (when wielded by Jarani Whitetop) was special, after all.

PS: any name similarities to real persons are purely conincidental.