GloranthaCon V

From: Neil Robinson <neilr_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 21:38:41 +0000

Please excuse this blatant piece of advertising

Glorantha Con V
July 25-27, 1997
Victoria, BC
Canada

Dudilus DoBright says.

Join us to Welcome the Goddess to the Descended Island Kingdom of Vancouver!

LARPS
 Life of Moonson
 Fall of the House of Malan
 Revolt in the Redlands

Featured Guests             Featured Events
- -------------------       ---------------------
Greg Stafford             Welcoming the Goddess Heroquest
Sandy Petersen            Orlanthi/Lunar Debate
Nick Brooke               King of Sartar Panel
MOB                       Mythos Tournament
David Hall                Cthulhu Seminar
Chris Gidlow              Tabletop Gaming
Stephen Martin            and of course, Trollball

All this in the lush and idyllic setting of the University of Victoria campus. Come see how gaming is done in the Pacific Northwest. This gala event is co-sponsored by the Society for Interactive Literature, the Seattle Farmers Collective, and with help from Chaosium, and the Reaching Moon Megacorp

How to Get to Victoria

Victoria is located on Vancouver Island, across the strait from the city of Vancouver. It is reached by boat or plane. Despite popular misconceptions, the Con is NOT in Vancouver. The best net resource is www.victoriabc.com. Foreign visitors can contact us for more help - remember to get a visa for the US if you want to visit our southern neighbour too.

Plane Take a connecting flight from Seattle (SEATAC) [SEA] or Vancouver International Airport [YVR] to Victoria International Airport [YYV]. Shuttle buses and regular transport can get you down to the city and the university.

Vancouver Ferry There is an hourly car ferry from Twassassen to Swartz Bay (near Victoria) for about $36.00/car one-way. A coach line runs directly from downtown Vancouver or from the Vancouver Airport to downtown Victoria.

Contact: BC Ferries. Http://ww.bcferries.bc.ca (250) 386-3431
Toll free (888)-BCFERRY (223-3779)

Seattle Ferry Car ferry from downtown Seattle to downtown Victoria sailing at 1:00 PM each day for the island. It takes 4 1/2 hours. Cost is $50 round trip for passengers, $100 for a car and driver. Phone (250) 480 5555 or (800) 668-1167

There is also a high-speed passenger ferry running from downtown Seattle to downtown Victoria -cost about $100.00 round trip. It sails twice daily. Contact: Victoria Clipper: (206) 448-5000

Lodgings

We will be staying at the University of Victoria campus. You will need to make reservations before June 25th, 1997 or we cannot guarantee a spot for you. There are shared toilet facilities (dorms) in all but the suites. Please mention the Interactive Literature Conference (our local non-profit society) and the GloranthaCon V.

Room Rates (these include taxes)        Contact:
Single     $38.00 (includes breakfast)  Housing and Conference
Services,
                                        UVic
Double    $50.00 (includes breakfast)   P.O. 1700
Suite       $158 (4 rooms + kitchen     Victoria, BC  V8W 2Y2
                  and living room       Canada
                  but no breakfast)     Tel: (250)-721-8395
                                        Fax: (250)-721-8930

Local Bus Information.

If you take the coach line from Vancouver, you will be dropped off downtown. The #14 Bus runs from downtown to the University, and you can also take the #4 and #7.

Costs

All costs are in Canadian funds. Yes, we have coloured money. Think of it, this will make the visit even cheaper. Oh, all US bank/ATM cards work in the Canadian system, so don't worry about that - and there are ATM machines on campus right by the pub.

form continued on back...
We'll be sending the full events list out soon, but are still looking for GM's for the tabletop games. Please contact us if you are interested in running a game or volunteering.

Here is a brief list of the planned events:

Seminars

Horror in Cthulhu             - From the master (Sandy)
King of Sartar Panel          - Joerg Baumgartner and
                                Stephen Martin host
Stafford on Glorantha         - Greg speaks on our favourite topic
Making Glorantha your own     - How to deal with mythic
                                Glorantha in your game
Running Glorantha             - Running Glorantha can be
                                hard - tips from the experts
Cultural Exchange             - Nick and others ramble
How to Get Published          - Writing stuff for Tales,
                                Drastic Resolutions, and more
Chaosiana                     - Chaosium news and events
RQ Rules and Alternatives     - Rules are important to many gamers.
Meet the Megacorp             - Hobnob with the Tales crowd Arthurian
Britain             - Pendragon and Arthur Arachne Solara's Web
  - Glorantha and gaming on the
                                Internet

Games and Events
Life of Moonson               - A Lunar LARP from the Brits who
                                brought you Home of the Bold (49
                                players)
Fall of the House of Malan - Orlanthi tribal politics at its finest.
                                A LARP for 40-50 players
Orlanthi/Lunar Debate         - Can the wily Lawspeakers talk down
                                the Friendly Lunar Missionaries
Meet the Goddess Heroquest    - A celebration of the Goddess
                                arriving in Victoria. - and a treat!
Trollball                     - A full festival of troll culture Lore
auction                  - Want to know the secrets of
                                Glorantha - it will cost you
Pelorian Stories              - Tales from the Oslir
Revolt in the Redlands        - The continuation of Chris Gidlow's
                                epic - The Tarsh War
Stafford Reads                - A story from a real trickster
Beer                          - Just in case you doubted..
Mythos Tourney                - Play Chaosium's collectable card
                                game.

We're also considering running miniature wargames and Dragon Pass/Nomad Gods. Please let us know if you are interested.

ALL HAIL THE REACHING MOON!

Yes, I am interested in the hottest convention ever to hit Victoria, BC. Sign me up! And sign up quickly so you get a spot in the LARPs, places going fast.
Basic Cost:                 $40 US or $50 CDN    _______________
Life of Moonson 	    $10 US or $12 CDN    _______________
Fall of the House of Malan $10 US or $12 CDN _______________
Total (denote currency)                          ________________

Send check or Moneys to:
US Funds                        Canadian Funds
Neil Robinson                   Bill Thompson
2650 NW 58th St., Unit 1        202-1002 MacKenzie Ave
Seattle, WA  98107              Victoria, BC  V8X 4B5
USA                             Canada
Tel:   (206) 706-3250           Tel: (250) 727-9741
E-mail: neilr_at_wolfenet.com

Please answer the following questions to help us better tailor the Con to your needs:

Please list the types of games that you would like to run or play.

Neil Robinson          Glorantha-Con V net rep.  July 25-27 1997
neilr_at_wolfenet.com     Come visit our web site!
Seattle, WA  USA       http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/con5/gcon5.htm

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #180