Follow the Sun (Yelm Dials) and Objective POV

From: gswitzer_at_loop.com
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 00:00:05 -0800

        Peter Metcalfe (in #175) mentions the Westerners using hourglasses and waterclocks as timepieces instead of sundials. Couldn't they use sorcery to make a much more accurate time-keeping device? Sort of a Brithini atomic clock?

        Will Johnson (#176) and David Weihe (#178) show why I love this digest, the way that a discussion of even the most ordinary thing becomes uniquely "Gloranthan" when looked at from different cultural viewpoints. :)

        To avoid the "Groundhog Problem" of a Solar worshipper having to depend on Yelm's shadow to tell time maybe a crystal (tigereye opal?) could be enchanted to remain fixed on Yelm and focus His Light on the surface of the dial. Mounting the crystal on a movable gimbal would even take care of seasonal variations. Or is this too mechanical a solution?

        Pam Carlson: I don't know if my POV is all that objective. Glorantha is my favorite game setting, and I would like to have loads of keen new stuff for it, but I would like it even better if I had loads of keen new things for it to SELL. :)

        Does anyone else suddenly think of strange things while posting to the Digest? I suddenly wondered...if a Mostali looked at a Yelmalio temple's dome would he see the Skydome or the Stasis Rune?

        Gary R. Switzer--Aero Hobbies