Computerised Glorantha

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 97 21:13:48 GMT

Has the Great Secret of Glorantha been found?

I refer to this:

>Now suppose that the whole of Glorantha is actually in a
>computer; it's a simulation or game or even place for people's personalities
>to be uploaded after "death". Chaos is a sort of computer virus. The God
>Learners were rewriting the program's code, and got splatted by guardian
>programs. The Invisible God/Creator is the sysop/programmer. Hero Quests are
>trips to saved games or something. Illuminates _know_ that they are part of a
>computer program.

> If one were to run a campaign like this, I'd suggest leaving the true
>nature of the universe a secret to be discovered, and make it the main story
>arc.

>V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...

Well no, I don't suppose so, although I did read of one non-Gloranthan RQ campaign in which the PCs nobly sacrificed themselves to save the Universe and found themselves waking up (like the crew of STARBUG in the BACK TO REALITY episode of RED DWARF) in a total immersion VR game.

I've often thought of this concept as a useful analogy/parable for magic in any fantasy campaign. Reality is a computer program and magicians of all sorts are privileged users who can abuse the system.

And as Woody Allen puts it:

The Universe is but a thought in the mind of God. A pretty disturbing concept if you've just put down a deposit on some furniture.

Michael Cule

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.