What I'd Like to See

From: Trent Smith <TFSMITH_at_POMONA.EDU>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 18:43:20 -0800 (PST)

     Since my "case history" of Gloranthan RQ seems to have been referred to several times as an example of the hurdles involved in Gloranthan gaming, I thought I'd also take a stab at creating a Glorantha wish-list. Since I think the distinction's important, I've broken it up into gaming and scholarship.

GAMING:
   I'd like to see "Genertela: Crucible of the Hero Wars" type surveys done for the rest of Glorantha. I know that rough drafts of such products existed in the past, and I'd like to see them developed and published. If I want to send a group of PCs to Teleos, for instance, I'd like a little more to go on than a couple of vague paragraphs scattered across multiple supplements.

   I'd like to see more self-contained Campaign-type adventures, along the lines of "Borderlands" or "Griffin Mountain," set in new areas, like the Grazelands, Ralios, etc. These type of books bring the encyclopedic detail of the survey-books down to a comprehensible level and are essential for new GMs.

   I'd like to see an affordable English-language version of the revised "Nomad Gods", and I'd like to see "Masters of Luck and Death" someday.

   Of course I'd love to see "Soldiers of the Red Moon," which is the last big hole in detailing the Sartar-Prax area to a level comprehensible by new players and GMs.

SCHOLARSHIP:
   What I'd like to see on a scholarly level is myths and stories told from the perspective of cultures besides the Orlanthi and the Pelorians. I'd love a history of the Hero Wars from Sir Ethilrist's perspective, or a mythic history of the Pentans, told from their POV. Even the Malkioni have been relatively neglected as far as in-character first person historiography and mythology goes, and we don't really know what happens anywhere outside of central Genertela after 1625 or so. I'd much rather see that rectified than hear more debates about the true nature of various obscure Dara Happan mythological figures. In other words, rather than re-interpretation and expansion of Greg's work, I'd like to see more actual creativity come from the Glorantha scholars (ie- things I can make more use of in my games).

Yeah, that's pretty much my Gloranthan wish-list. Glorantha is a huge and very diverse place, but it seems that so much attention is lavished upon a small portion of it that the rest is largely overlooked. There's info out there on Carmania, East Ralios, Imther, etc, and I'd like to see that expanded upon and published officially, because the more variety and diversity there is in Glorantha, the more I think people will become interested, and the less they'll worry about getting stepped on and Gregged.

Trent Smith