Games as Ritual Combat

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 03:38:21 -0500 (EST)

          The talk about cricket reminded me of a bit I saw about a tribe on some islands near New Guinea that used a somewhat modified version of cricket as a replacement for old time ritual combats. While the little bits of cricket I've seen in an episode of _The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin_ and the "Black Orchid" _Dr. Who_ story didn't look terribly combat like, these islanders seemed to be happy with the replacement. In the island version, the host team always won (out of politeness) and the host chief gave out lots of presents.

         I gather that Orlanthis like to do cattle raids and little battles and all that, but do some tribes have games or tournaments along the lines of what the islanders are doing? I have some recollection of some strange Scottish game (a proto-golf or something) being suggested as an Orlanthi sport in an earlier RQ/Glorantha list.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...