Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #183

From: robertson_at_delphi.intel.com
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 12:32:26 -0800

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...

> I gather that Orlanthis like to do cattle raids and little battles
>and all that, but do some tribes have games or tournaments along the lines of
>what the islanders are doing? I have some recollection of some strange
>Scottish game (a proto-golf or something) being suggested as an Orlanthi
>sport in an earlier RQ/Glorantha list. >

Shinty. Played with sticks somewhat like hockey/golf clubs. The rules: 1. smack the ball into the goal.
2. There are no other rules.

In a more civilized time, there are rules for number of men on the field, timeouts, no serious intent to cause injury, etc. Shinty is related to all the other field hockey games: Hurley, Viking Stickball, etc. In Scotland, it was played between villages: all the shnty players that wanted to play would get out in the heather and whack away at the ball until they didn't want (or couldn't) play any more. The goals were inside the opposing villages.

I posted RQ rules for it 'way back when (a couple of years ago).

Roderick Robertson