aquaducts

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 16:56:00 -0800

Joerg B:

>My point about the Heartlands being somewhat dry is their extensive use of
irrigation.

 But I think that irrigation is used to drain the vast, natural marshes of the Oslir into someting dry enough to farm - in Dara Happa, anyway. Perhaps the rainfall in Peloria _is_ seasonal, but I'm not sure drought is a problem. Remember all those Murharzarm/Anaxial flood myths in GRoY? Not *one* drought myth. I don't recall any from Entekosiad, either.

Hmm - weather thought. I wonder if cold fronts coming down from the north hit the warm air over Peloria and make spectacular thunderstorms?  Only the Pelorians say it's Shargash casting down Walindum. Must be so...

>I am fairly certain that Lunar Heartland cities will need aquaeducts to
provide drinkable water for their citizens. Which might cause some guerilla
water wars between urban water officials and farmers robbed of their irrigation sources just when they need them most, during dry spells.

Didn't the cities of old Sumer struggle to build upstream from each other? Being downstream of another city wasn't good....

Pam

(Who once lived in a desert, and decided it isn't a good idea.)