Bow? Wow!

From: Ed Tonry <etonry_at_niu.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 22:29:44 -0500

James Frusetta and I seem to be saying much the same thing, if we could only say it in the same words.

I only meant that it was the combination of a good bow and good tactics which made the English and Mongol archers so feared. If the Mongols had come from a damper climate, they would not have had the "Mongol bow". They would have used something closer in type to the English longbow. But, being horse-archers, their tactics could stay the same, with the same result.

So, Ralians should be armed with whatever type of bow works best in their climate, and their tactics should match their style of fighting - afoot or mounted. If they already have bows, there's not any real advantage to importing any type of bow, unless it has a better range or penetrating power. And if they don't already have bows, it probably won't do any good to import any. They won't have the tradition and experience to use them well. Good archers, with any bow, take a _long_ time to develop.

Ed Tonry