Re: Humakt

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 97 12:10:32 EST

> From: Philip Hibbs <101621.1264_at_CompuServe.COM>
> >like Humakt, some of whose adherents sever themselves from kin and ancestors
> I think this severing of relationships is mostly a matter of choice
As much as refusing Healing (from non-Humakti sources, or all Healing magic) are choices. As one becomes more Deadicated (pun intended) these "choices" become less a choice than a failure to commit.

> I have
> a Humakt character who is the eldest child of a noble family in Culbrea, and
> although he has renounced the title and rights of primogeniture, he still
> considers himself part of the family. Recently, his two brothers were killed
> in a fight with some scorpion men, and he is currently agonising whether to
> fully return to his family, or to carry on his devotion to Humakt to the
> logical cunclusion.

What is the problem? Just because he severs the Kin relationship doesn't mean that he can never see them, again, just that he becomes a kind of Dutch Uncle. He can make sure that the young heirs are protected until majority, or that the right cousins become the next Cheiftain or King. Obviously, he can't BECOME king, unless he wants to go inactive, but he was willing to give that up once, so the situation shouldn't have changed that much.
(PS, IMG, Orlanthi use ultimogenture, except for the Western-influenced  groups in Heortland or far-away Ralios. Otherwise, Kolat would have  become King of Storm, not Orlanth)

> Additionally, even if the brothers are resurrected, I don't know
> whether he would consider them the same people!
Like the Baptist minister who not only believed in Infant Baptism but had seen it, Humakti believe in Resurrection because they have seen it. They just don't like it. The brothers would be the same people, but the Humakti brother should have less respect for them. Perhaps he would merely look on them as less than couragous, or maybe view them as flakes (just as they probably thought he was :-) when he gave up position to join the god of the Suicidally Inclined). If he has not yet severed his Kinship by the time the next election for (whatever he would have inherited) he might support some cousin, instead.