Monomythin'

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 14:11:12 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-02-10 07:05:55 EST, you write: Peter Metcalf noted...

> I don't see the need for the monomyth in the type of supplements that
> people have been wanting ie regional in scope. When doing a description
> of Ralios frex, I do not want to see the Sun God of the Galininae being
> referred to as Yelm objectively. When setting a campaign in Pent, I do
> not want to see the West King Wind being called Orlanth and given the
> same spells. It has as much appeal as running a fantasy earth campaign
> where Satan is the God of the Aztecs (which is the God Learner equivalent
> of how they altered gloranthan myhtology).

        The point is that Glorantha is a whole lot smaller than Earth and Gloranthan history is a lot shorter than Earth's, at least since the Dawn. We're talking about around 1700 years as opposed to tens of thousands. While the Aztec gods and the Christian/Muslim Satan are sufficiently removed from each other as to have no common mythic (hmm, but I assume the existance of Satan in my own personal theology, oh well) connection the gods of Glorantha are far more related. There is one sun in the sky of Glorantha. "Yelm" in one place _is_ the same entity as the sun god of some other place in Genertela; he might have different aspects due to differences in his worship, but it is valid to assume that they are the same being.

     After all, we have a Monomyth on Earth; we call it Science.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...