Re: Siege Weapons II: Sartar Strikes Back

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 97 16:50:18 EST

> From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
> Um, yes. So anyway, what's up with Sartar? Are the windy Celts left bereft
> of engines, or do they know their use? Or do they hire foreigners? Might
> not have been an issue unitl the Lunars arrived, and the Sartarites were
> faced with an efficient foe who could capably assault cities and forts.

I think that the Orlanthi tend to play Special Forces, rather than using artillery. Throw in Darkwalk, Sylphs, and Humakti, and it's "Fighting soldiers from the sky; fearless men, who do or die..." etc.

This seems especially true if, as I (maybe mis-)remember from KoS, that Argrath won the Lodrilli over before formally taking over the southern Lunar Provinces like Holay, Syllila, etc. Clearly, that would be due to Insurgency/CounterInsurgency training (take the countryside and starve the cities, just like Mao against the Nationalist Chinese in the late forties). Definitely a sign of US Special Forces.

Also, there was the Orlanthi Runelord (US Navy SEAL??) in the Munchrooms scenario from TrollPack. I imagine the British members can come up with a few SAS-like incidents, as well.

Of course, they can also use their sylphs as tactical bombers, and use their Earth connections (ie, Maran Gor helping Ernalda, Orlanth's wife) to start Earthquakes, and get aid from True Dragons (EWF and Argrath's Final Assault on the Red Moon), and get Sheng Seleris from Hell, because they seem to out-HeroQuest their enemies, but those are extraordinary tactics.