Seattle's FarmerQuest

From: Neil Robinson <neilr_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:40:29 +0000

Seeing as we mainly came to Glorantha in its role as a gaming world, I think it is important to play up that aspect every now and then.

As a new arrival to Seattle, I feel compelled to dispel some of the myth's surrounding the Seattle Farmer's Collective, and more specifically, Jeff Richard's wonderful Taming of Dragon Pass campaign.

Myth: Farmer's are boring
Fact: Sartarite farmers are embroiled in more politics, feuds, and adventures than they need, or want. In addition to the 'everyone hates the Varmandi' theme that drives the game, we have added family feuds, clan leadership (who will take over when Varmand falls to the foe that even he cannot beat : age), and the quest for a proper wife.

Myth: Farmer's are peaceful
Fact: Farmers are peaceful unless disturbed. The two most productive farmer's in the Varmandi clan are Illig and Boranthos. But when Orleving raid and threaten their kin and steads, well then Illig Steadburner and Boranthos Orlevsbane put on their masks of war and attack with a vengance that can stun stauch housecarls.

Myth: Farmer's lives are without magic
Fact: Farmer's deal with more magic that adventures. Not little spells, but rituals to ensure the harvest, to deal with chaos when it threatens [Summons of Evil], and create small shrines. Try to tell them that the magic of Barntar is less important than Orlanth.

Myth: Farmer's aren't heros, and never heroquest or adventure Fact: Farmers are involved in as many heroquests as Argrath. They travel to Kero Fin to ask for aid, they enact the rescue of Ernalda to deal with the Orleving foe, and now they are going to have to face a Wyrm who's breath is fire and whose wings can blot out the sky.

All I can say is that this is gaming as it should be: full of strife, heros, and legends. It is amazing how the entire thing play out like a Norse Saga.

And we all know what happens in them.... they all die horribly. I wonder if the Fall of the House of Malan LARP can keep up the tradition.

And now back to the normal intellectual debate.

Neil

PS - I guess now I should recommend Korol's saga on David Dunham's web page. The next section will be MOST interesting.