Wish-list, Runequestion

From: Claude Manzato <cmanzat_at_sbs.de>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:24:39 +0100

Hello all,

What do we want to see?
Martin Laurie asked :
> Here's a quick survey - WRITE IN IF YOU HAVE IDEAS YOU"D LOVE TO SUBMIT FOR
> PUBLICATION - WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE WRITTEN?
As far as I am concerned, the problem is not "what area of Glorantha do you want to see covered in future publications", it is more like "How can Chaosium (or any publisher licenced to) bring the Gloranthan milieu we all love to the biggest possible audience in a profitable way".

From a RPG perspective:

First, design a new system, as RQ3 is no longer avaible to chaosium. I would favor a simple one myself (about as complex as Pendragon) because I think new complex systems are doomed. A complex game has a chance when he is the first to cover a new genre. Now if you want to attract new customers you have to keep it simple. DESIGN A SYSTEM WHICH CAN COVER BOTH NORMAL ADVENTURING AND HEROQUESTING, or 2 interlinked and similar ones from the beginning. Chances are that if you wait, the gap will never close (besides it seems that Heroquest is long overdue).

Second, the strength of Glorantha is the background and the variety. Use it to stand out of the rank and file games. How about adventure books structured like this:

20%     Myth            (Stories, songs,speeches,,...)
50%     Adventure       (Small interlinked scenarios)
30%     Hard data       (Cults, rules, plans, NPC,...)

Each part strengthening the other. The myth is used by the GM to pass the background on the players via the NPCs (ceremonial songs, campfire stories) and foreshadow or explain events during the adventures. Adventures introduce the myth and the places. Cults, places and NPCs can be reused at will by the GM for his own adventures. Each book has to be biaised by the characters POV, of course, peharps retelling the same myth in different ways.

RQ3:	great background	+	poor marketing	=	confidentiality
Vampire:	average background	+	good marketing	=	commercial success

Seems that background and marketing don't have the same weight.

On a totaly different topic, can someone tell me which deity is the source of the following runes: communication, fate, luck?

Thanx in anticipation.

Claude Manzato           DISTANCE, n.  The only thing that the rich are
cmanzat_at_scn.de           willing for the poor to call theirs, and keep.
http://www.scn.de/~cmanzat
Toulouse France
####################   THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY (Ambrose Bierce)