Humakti and Resurrection

From: Joseph Troxell <jmt107_at_psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:11:33 -0500

Humakt believed that kinship was a poor excuse for a crime, and that is why he severed his kinship ties with Orlanth. Sources have said that Humakt continued to fight alongside Orlanth at times. However, I would think he only fought with Orlanth when it suited Humakt's needs. Now, in reference to cult members. While a Humakti may be encouraged to sever his kinship ties with his family, he is not required to do so, from what I have read. Even if a Humakti does sever his kinship ties, he does not sever all ties. It seems that his family is relegated to the status of "fellow clan member" and no longer "brother/father/etc." While the clan ties may be weaker than the family ties, it is still a connection.

A Humakti is required to take upon themselves a geas, and receives an accompanying gift. It would seem in good form to try to follow most (if not all) of the geas. However, there are contradictions in the geases. One geas is to remain silent, yet Orate is a cult skill. Just as another geas is to accept no magical healing, yet Heal is a cult spell. I interpret this to mean that a Humakti should try to emulate Humakt as best he can, yet the worshipper is certainly not as powerful as Humakt himself. So, while Humakt may not need healing, the worshipper may at times need magical healing.

How does a Humakti feel about resurrection? I doubt that resurrection is that common. It is expensive, and so most peasants could not afford to be resurrected. Also, the body decays (lose a d3 from Str, Con, Dex, App each day) while the spirit is not bound to the body. If you have average stats
(10-12), being dead just 4 days may insure that you cannot be resurrected
due to stat loss. Even if you can be resurrected, you may wish you weren't
("Oh, great, I have a 4 Str, 5 Con, 2 Dex, and 2 App!"). So, unless the
spell is cast in a very short time (or the body preserved), there may not be much left to resurrect. So, not being resurrectible probably doesn't worry the average man.

What does it mean not to be resurrectable? In exchange for Humakt getting your spirit, your body cannot be turned into an undead. It's nice to know that some evil sorceror isn't going to animate your corpse and have it attack your former village. Also though, it makes it difficult for someone to get your spirit. That's what resurrection does. The priest finds your spirit, beats it up, and stuffs it back in your body. If a priest can't get your spirit after you're dead, it follows that no one could. So, you are safe from having your body or spirit abused after you have died.

How would a Humakti feel about his friend being resurrected? He might feel sorry for the guy. Unless the resurrection happened immediately, the body has decayed some. Regardless of when the resurrection occurs, your spirit is being found, and against it's will bound back into your body. The Humakti might well feel sorry for someone who's god isn't powerful enough to ensure the safety and protection of their spirit after they pass from the mundane plane.

That's my two cents worth. I didn't even get into my discussion on different types of Humakti, or how the Cult of Humakt reminds me of the United States Marine Corps.