The Last God Learner Speaks :)

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:34:45 -0500 (EST)

> >There is one sun in the sky of Glorantha. "Yelm" in one place _is_ the
> >same entity as the sun god of some other place in Genertela; he might
> >have different aspects due to differences in his worship, but it is
> >valid to assume that they are the same being.
>
> Look at the Real World. There is only one sun. Yet in and around
> the mediterranean sea, a region of constant cultual intercourse,
> there are many names and cults for the sun. So why should we make
> reference to the egyptian sun god Ra if we are detailing a supplement
> involving the Italian Pennisular? That is equivalent to the relevance
> the monomyth has in glorantha today.

          My point is that there's a basic set of truths behind Glorantha or Earth. If the ancient Egyptian view of the universe was the Truth, then the ancient Italian viewpoint was not the Truth except in the points where it agreed with the Egyptian. The Monomyth is an attempt at defining the Truth of Glorantha and is thus useful even if it is not 100% accurate. The myths of a specific region are useful for that area, but how do they relate to the total Gloranthan Truth? This is important if they're going to be interacting with peoples from outside that area; heck, isn't that pretty much the whole basis behind Arkat and HeroQuesting? I don't buy any notion that every people's world concept can be totally different and unrelated and yet everyone is still the Truth. That's the logic of "The Monomyth is Science"; it's the truth of the world to the extent that an objective observer can determine them as opposed to the what each group's myths say.

> > After all, we have a Monomyth on Earth; we call it Science.
>
> English would be a better analogy, methinks.

       Confusion; I thought English was Trade Talk. :)

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham... Vampires have little trouble getting on America Online.