Spirit names

From: Arf <A.R.Wilson_at_herts.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:11:14 +0000 (GMT)

> From: Paolo Guccione <teigupa_at_tss.tei.ericsson.se>
> Alain Rameau
> ============
> > The rules (as I remember) say that a shaman can call again a specific
> > spirit if he simply kwnows the name of this spirit. So, is it possible
> > for shamans to exchange or trade such names with other shamans in
> > order to have a large source of spirits available when needed?
>
> Yes, but why only shamans? They are lonely and never write anything
> down, so they are unlikely to do so unless they belong to the same cult.
> Sorcerers summon spirits, too, and since they are more likely to be
> organized in guilds or churches than shamans they are much more likely
> to trade or record True Names.

...And the same can also be said of cults. I think this is how cult spirit spells happen, especially those associated with heroes; the priest knows the hero's (true) name, and so can summon his spirit to teach the waiting cult member after a ritual spirit combat.

Also think this crosses over the threshold of Humakti resurrection - the cult heroes would need to be summoned in order to teach the cult spells. However, according to the cult, Humakt promises that the spirit is kept safely, and so should not be summonable.

Theories?

Arf.

| Arf Wilson             |  A five year old child could understand this -    |
| a.r.wilson_at_herts.ac.uk |  send someone to fetch a five year old child!     |