Re: Cult books

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_ican.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:50:00 -0500

Peter Maranci -

>It seems to me that it
>would make sense to publish really *detailed* information
>on individual cults in small books, perhaps 20 - 40 pages in
>length.

Unfortunately, small books have proven to be a very dodgy commercial proposition. Other publishers have found this to be true, and I'm afraid Chaosium would as well.

Also, narrowly focused books that only a few people will buy do poorly compared to books that most GMs and players will want to own. The classic example is adventures, which tend not to sell well, because only GMs buy them. (Although the first couple of adventures for a new game tend to do well.)

I really want to see Chaosium get a healthy Glorantha line up and running someday. To do that, they'll need to be very shrewd on the marketing end of things, which includes product formats.

Take care >>> Robin