Humakt, Geas, etc

From: Colin Phillips <Colin_at_tang.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:55:55 +0000

> While a Humakti may be encouraged to sever his kinship
>ties with his family, he is not required to do so, from what I have read.
>Even if a Humakti does sever his kinship ties, he does not sever all ties.
>It seems that his family is relegated to the status of "fellow clan member"
>and no longer "brother/father/etc." While the clan ties may be weaker than
>the family ties, it is still a connection.

I disgaree, in my games if a character becomes a humakti, his family view him as dead and hold a funeral feast. Showing everybody within their clan that so and so is dead. The fact there is someone walking around who looks a lot like the deceased is immmaterial.

>Even if a Humakti does sever his kinship ties, he does not sever all ties.
>It seems that his family is relegated to the status of "fellow clan member"
>and no longer "brother/father/etc." While the clan ties may be weaker than
>the family ties, it is still a connection.

IMO unless they have a cultural role within the Clan the humakti needs to go to the chief and ask for hospitality (orlanthi hospitality) depending on whether they need a humakti or not depends on the level of welcome. I can easily see within a very peaceful clan with no real enemies, the Humakti will only be offered hospitality up to a salt level. ie no duty, there no need for him to stay...

>A Humakti is required to take upon themselves a geas, and receives an
>accompanying gift. It would seem in good form to try to follow most (if not
>all) of the geas. However, there are contradictions in the geases. One
>geas is to remain silent, yet Orate is a cult skill. Just as another geas
>is to accept no magical healing, yet Heal is a cult spell. I interpret this
>to mean that a Humakti should try to emulate Humakt as best he can, yet the
>worshipper is certainly not as powerful as Humakt himself. So, while Humakt
>may not need healing, the worshipper may at times need magical healing.

Mmm rules, you obviously use them I don't. However I must be a nasty GM as if you break a geas in my games you die!!!!! yes die, I look to celtic legend
 for my sources in this(also if I remember correctly in KoS someone dies from being forced to break there geas).

A geas is for life not just for xmas!!!!

As for the contradictions within religion look to our own culture, christianity promotes peace and goodwill to all men, but still christian missionaries have been responsible for some of the most horrendous crimes in history. Contradictions in religion are for me some of the best oppotunities to role play.

>How does a Humakti feel about resurrection?

IMO He is absolutely against it, death is the only true way, no sane person wants to come back from death, according to humakt of course:)

Colin Phillips

"He took a face from the ancient gallery and walked on down the hall"