Re: mythic change

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:39:25 -0800

Paul Harmaty wrote

> In America, the Amerindians of the plains include horses in some creation
> myths, even though horses were only introduced to the continent by the
>Spanish
> in the 16th century. Try to imagine how significant the change to their
>belief
> system must have been in just 100-150 years!

There are strong hints that the same has happened in Glorantha. Were horses really sacred to Yelm in Dara Happa, before the horse nomads conquered them? If Humakt is really a Ralian deity, who introduced death in Dragon Pass?

As for belief systems, I like the story of the Australian tribe who, upon their third contact (separated by a fair number of years) by Europeans, had absolutely no recollection of the previous two. You'd think that such a significant and unusual event would be remembered, but apparently ships and white-skinned men just didn't fit into their belief system, so they didn't enter the myths. And were thus forgotten.