History there is, and no history...

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 03:44:48 -0500 (EST)

Nick Brooke

> History is a *very* busy place at times. "Only 1700 years", my foot! There
> are serious people around today who think our world was created just 6000
> years ago (and will shortly be wound up), while the Dara Happans can trace
> over a hundred thousand years of glorious Imperial rule. Who's got a short
> history now, eh?

       Here's where I'm getting confused. Essentially, I get the impression that all that stuff in the RQII and RQIII stuff that had a cosmology is pretty much utter nonsense; the God Learners pretty much made everything up out of totally disassociated legends, everything is myths and legends, and we don't know what the objective truth of Glorantha is. The Dawn never happened and there was never a God Time unless you happen to be an Orlanthi in central Genertela. All the stuff in the God Time or whatever is just mythic stuff in a collective unconsciousness.

        Maybe I'm a simplistic literalist; I assumed that in Glorantha the gods and legends are real and that there are interactions between them. When I read about how Arkat saw commonalities in the various cults he joined I assumed that this was an indication (as was pretty much stated) that the cults had common origins. I didn't realise that I should look at the myths and legends of Glorantha in the way that a "real world" socialogist views Earth's myths and legends.

       Not a biggy, really. Boils down to taste; I like the idea that there's a common basis and reality for the Gloranthan legends and a shared past reality which seems to make me a minority of one. That's how I'd run a game (to the extent that it mattered) unless I was trying something radically different like a Round Glorantha; then I'd go with what seems to be the common wisdom.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham... (subject title from the "Inquestor" stories of Somtow Suchartikul)