Make Trax For Prax

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 02:44:25 -0500

___
Arf writes:

> As I understand it, days are always the same length...

In Greg Stafford's latest work on Dara Happan astronomy, this is not the case (though I agree that this has not previously been made explicit). The Summer Solstice is Yelm's High Holy Day (from GoG: Fireday of Harmony Week in Fire Season), with the equinoxes and midwinter arranged appropriately around the year, falling roughly as follows:

Spring Equinox          slap bang in the middle of Sacred Time
Summer Solstice         Fireday of Harmony week in Fire season
Autumn Equinox          some day in Fertility week of Earth season
Winter Solstice         Fireday of Illusion week in Dark season

I found it a pleasant coincidence that both Sacred Time and the Fertility week of Earth season are pretty universally recognised festivals, appearing across many cultures: something as "big" as the equinox adds greatly to their attraction.

We don't yet have a definite answer for how long midsummer's day is, but my working model (as seen in my "Gloranthan Ephemeris", qv.) has been for a 16-to-8 split (i.e. Midwinter Night is sixteen hours long: Trolls have lots of fun in Dark season, 'cos they can range further afield with the longer nights...).

> In Prax, how much water does an individual need to carry/drink to
> survive?

Same as in a comparable real-world desert/chaparral. There were RuneQuest rules for this in Jon Quaife's scenario "A Tale To Tell", included in "Shadows on the Borderlands" (cf. p.61 of that book, and p.14 of the GM Reference Pullout).

> Where (if anywhere) can I find information on Skullbushes and other
> Praxian vegetation?

"Skullbushes" (by Sandy Petersen) was printed in the "RQ Companion", sadly long out-of-print. Eric Rowe's "Plants of Dwarf Knoll" and "Plants of the Tunnelled Hills" were featured in Tales #14 and #15, the two recent Praxian Specials. There are summaries of plant life (but little hard information) in "Genertela Book", and in the "Regions of Prax" article in Tales #14. And the articles on two Praxian Oases in Tales #15 ("Cam's Well" by Martin Crim and "Moonbroth" by myself and Malcolm Serabian) include some description of the local flora. I'd suggest reading up what grows in the real-world desert, chaparral, swamps and oases, and seeing if any MGF ideas develop; National Geographic articles are usually fun and informative.

Nick

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #195