Monomyth

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 07:03:58 -0500

VS Greene writes:

> What I was attempting to assert, at least originally, was that the
> Monomyth as persented in RQII and RQIII stuff was a useful skeleton
> to work with, that it allowed for a common basis for many of the
> world's myths that is esthetically pleasing for game purposes, that
> makes sense.

I doubt anyone will disagree with you on that. The Monomyth is a *very* convenient and useful introduction to Gloranthan mythology, though by its nature it cannot be all-encompassing (the Monomyth is essentially a pruned summary of "what's out there", rather than a definitive statement). It'd be much harder for us to understand Glorantha without the Monomyth, but OTOH much less worthwhile doing so if the Monomyth were taken as the be-all and end-all of Gloranthan mythology and religion.

What I was objecting to in your original post was the assertion that all Gloranthan cultures were bound to be very similar to each other after "only" 1700 years of history in the same "small" world. Just look at the real world and you'll quickly see how false this is.

Nick