Too much stuff

From: SimonPhipp_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:08:21 -0500 (EST)

Klyfix_at_aol.com wrote:
> _Cults of Prax_ notes that people turn to ancestor worship when they aren't
> happy with the gods; I think that should not just be in the boonies but in
cities.

Duke Raus worshipped his ancestors for instance. Many Yelmites would also worship their ancestors, especially if descended from a Hero. As far as I know, several Lunar families worship ancestors (see Strangers in Prax for an example).

I think that Ancestor worship is used in many ways. Most ancestor worshippers do so in addition to their other gods - trolls worship ancestors routinely, the Ostrich Tribe worships other gods too. In civilised areas, ancestor worship is used to honour the family rather than individual ancestors - the clan structure in Dara Happa and Peloria supports such a view.

Nuno Flavio mentions Newbies:

> This way everybody will know that this is a msg from a newbie, problably
> asking things that *some* Gloranthaphiles *may* be inclined not to answer
> because they are *too* *simple*.
>
> This way people like those will not need bother even to read it,
> Gloranthaphiles that are willing to waste a few minutes explaining
> something *simple* will do so, and you can get your answers.

What's this about questions being too simple? Even hardened Gloranthaphiles forget elementary facts about Glorantha and need reminding. Also, one of the best ways to get the old brain cells working is to think about old problems.

Actually, I tend to skip the more esoteric material on the Digest - I don't particularly care how Gloranthan Sun-dials work, for instance. The heavy stuff has its place, as does the simple stuff - what we really need is more useful material.

Philip Hibbs asks what is a draugr? Look at The Book of Drastic Resolutions.

>>Down in the Dungeons, by James D. Chapin
>What a refreshing change! Reminds me of some stuff on Simon Phipp's
much-missed
>web site.

It's back on http://users.aol.com/simonphipp/index.html - no new stuff as yet but I have odds and ends still to post. When I get the time, I will write up the important parts of my Dorastor Campaign - not like the official Dorastor but still not bad - see the Giant King of Neverdead, The Sleeping City, the Microbroos and why the Vampires of the Tower of Lead are at war with Neverdead.

At the moment I am having to dial into the UK from Ireland to access my site, so I am loathe to put much on. I hope to get a idal-up number in Dublin, although there is a #4 per hour surcharge on the calls because "AOL do not have coverage in Ireland" even though their head office is in Dublin. Seems fair to me - they could teach Etyries and Lanbril a thing or two.

On Siege Engines

Derak the Dark Troll, one of the characters in my campaign carried a balista with him on certain scenarios mainly because he could carry it and had over 50% attack chance. When we went to see a castle in Wales, I had great pleasure in showing the player a mounted balista and demonstrating how impractical it was to carry around. Sometimes RW examples spoil the game spirit.

While I was playing, not GMing full time, we had a house rule that Mobility became more effective as the number of legs increased. When the trolls bred the Megapede they put these insects on a runway, pointed them at the enemy, cast Mobility, gave them a prod and stood well back. A quick calculation later and the insect sped off at well-above supersonic speeds. Unfortunatley, they were a pig to aim and ended up being fired at the Moon just to annoy the Lunars.

Trolls, in my opinion, do not use siege weapons but use Mantises to drop rocks on enemies and the Hurler cult allows rocks to be thrown over long distances very accurately.

Simon

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #197