monomything

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:53:06 +1300

V S Greene:

>Essentially, I get the impression
>that all that stuff in the RQII and RQIII stuff that had a cosmology is
>pretty much utter nonsense; the God Learners pretty much made everything up
>out of totally disassociated legends, everything is myths and legends, and we
>don't know what the objective truth of Glorantha is. The Dawn never happened
>and there was never a God Time unless you happen to be an Orlanthi in central
>Genertela. All the stuff in the God Time or whatever is just mythic stuff in
>a collective unconsciousness.

No, it's not *all* nonsense - the monomyth's an *averaged* view. The Sun really did disappear for many a year and returned at the Dawn. There is a 'God Time' which you can visit. I just don't believe that everybody sees these events in _roughly_ the same way which is why I distrust heavy reliance on the monomyth.

>When
>I read about how Arkat saw commonalities in the various cults he joined I
>assumed that this was an indication (as was pretty much stated) that the
>cults had common origins.

Some myths have common origins being based on a singular event. Even so you will get differing views of what happened. The Kralori and the Doraddi both saw the Sunstop but their myths of what happened are not necessarily the same as the Orlanthi.

Other myths have been enriched through communication with other cultures. Arkat saw commonalities between the mythology of the Ralians and the Malkioni (frex) because the two cultures had been in contact with each other since the Dawn. But the new enriched myths are further removed from the source of the original myth and objective history because they have incorporated irrelevant information. A good example of this is the Orlanthi and Yelmic mythology which accepted Yelm as the Emperor and Orlanth as the Rebel even though such names were not present in the original myth *and* more likely suspects can be found elsewhere.

And finally some myths appear to be common because they involve the human condition - all torturer gods can be easily subsumed under Ikadz, frex.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #198