Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #198

From: Arf <A.R.Wilson_at_herts.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:24:11 +0000 (GMT)

> From: "Lorne D. Booker" <booker_at_baynet.net>
>
> In Glorantha, is a players spirit the same as her soul?

IMG, yes. The soul (and spirits) are represented by the POW stat. I think most of a characters spirits are on the mundane (physical) plane because the spirit is tied to the body. This is why shamans have to awaken their fetch (a part of the soul on the spirit plane). So when a character dies, their spirit returns to their god.

> The reason why I ask this is because I am wondering how spirits would
> feel about being summoned. Grandfather Jed might not like to be hauled
> from the promised land (assuming that it is a nice place) if his spirit
> resides there. He would probably have to be dragged kicking and
> screaming to the mundane plane. If his spirit is drifting in the spirit
> plane he might not view it as a nuisance.
>
> I'm trying to get a feel of how a spirit feels about being summoned.
> This must be heavily influenced by where the spirit is when it is
> summoned?

You've just defined the reason why spirit combat is performed against all spirits (even a known ancestor) when summoned. There, you already knew!

From: <Delecti_at_aol.com>
>Subject: solstices and lengths of days

> > Jesper Wahrner writes:
>> <<Hmm. We have always played that days and nights always are of equal
>>length and that seasonal variety stems from some sort of elemental
>>dominance. During Fire Season Darkness is very weak and the nights are
>>actually not very dark.

(snip)
>> On the other hand during Dark Season Yelm is so weak that it
>>is actually possible to look straight at him without hurting your eyes.
>> which it starts to decline.

(snip)
>> I prefer this to the GRAY version with variable daylength, because it
>> keeps up the Sense of Wonder and gives the feeling that Glorantha is
> a fundamentally different place from Earth >>

> Ihave to agree here. I have used the elemental dominance to ccome to
> similiar effects. I had heard of something like that in one of the books,
> but felt like it was to RW'ish to use. This is Glorantha and a solstice
> does not feel right. Yelm goes at the same rate across the sky, as he is
> stuck in Time's influence.

Sentiments shared. I feel that having solstices/equinoxes is too much like Earth. The reason these happen is Earth's distance/proximity to the sun. On Glorantha, Yelm travels across the Sky Dome, and the distance doesn't change, therefore the time element will remain constant. I like the idea of seasonal variations of Yelm's power, previously I had just considered weather effects.

IMO, of course.

Arf.

| Arf Wilson             |  A five year old child could understand this -    |
| a.r.wilson_at_herts.ac.uk |  send someone to fetch a five year old child!     |