Stereotyping by word, armor

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:53:45 -0500 (EST)

Simon Phipp notes:

> 3. Obscure arguments on what colour Zorak Zoran's eyes were or whether Yelm
Hey, who sez he has eyes?

Dialects:
> A Question: Does it matter whether the Colymar tribe speaks slightly
> different Sartarite than the Colybrea (probably mis-spelled)? Does anybody
> care?

Um, actually, I'd think it a good roleplay schtick. After all, in the real world we "stereotype" by accent -- so if each of the different tribes speaks slightly differently, we can tell where they're from when we meet 'em, if you're a native. It's sort of relevant on a day-to-day basis, when you meet new people.

Or for MGF in another direction -- if I learn Darktongue from the tribe of trolls who speak some hick dialect, then it may take me awhile to figure out why ever troll I show off my language abilities to is rolling around on the ground. :)

> Any GM who insists on a Speak Sartarite roll any time a character is
> speaking to a member of a different clan/tribe has far too much to worry
> about, in my opinion.

Good lord, is anyone really _that_ anal? "You! Roll your Speak Sartarite, and subtract 8.5% for language drift!" Ugh. I'd just say that you understand most of it, but a word or two escapes you, and you (automatically) ask them to clarify that. If I drifted into analness in my comments on dialects, I should be forced to eat my big floppy trollish hat.

        <snippy snip>

On armor
> It is irrelevant to me what kind of armour they wear - does it matter from a
> gaming point of view what armour looks like? If I was wearing bronze plate
I've had it matter, once! :) Foolish PCs bushwhacked a lunar caravan, stole the armor (as well as wagons, mules, etc.) and strolled _right up to the Lunar gate guards at Pavis._ They were shocked when the Lunars arrested them ("Hmmm... two trolls, a Storm Bull and an Orlanthi all wearing Lunar Army issue").

That's a pretty extreme case, tho. <g> And I might be anal about that -- I actually enjoyed detailing where all their _coins_ came from (<roll, roll> "Hey! Another EWF silver piece, and a couple ancient Dara Happan golds!"). But that was sometimes fun, too -- one of the players was a fanatical Orlanthi, and they refused to keep Lunar lunars (she'd trade them to other PCs for Sartar silver pieces). She saw it as a small way to rebel against the Lunars, and a fun bit of roleplaying.

Or on a different note -- even if my troll can squeeze into that Dara Happan-style plate armor, am I going to _want_ to wear it? Ew, it sorta looks weedy. What would the other trolls think? <g> For one thing, I don't wanna run into any Zorak Zorani ("Hey, look at the little sun-loving git! Gonna get yourself a tan, there, boy? How's the ol' phalanx doing?", etc.)

Yah, I agree with you it doesn't usually make much of a dif, but differentiating this kind of stuff can be fun. As a case in point, how many people do you know who prefer a certain soft drink, beer or fast food joint _despite_ the fact that there's really not that much of a difference in a GM sense of things? Most characters don't care that Dakori Inkarth Light Beer tastes worse than Halikiv's Best, but a hard drinkin' troll might.

James Frusetta