Re: Solstices

From: Peter Linton Tracy <937058_at_bud.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:57:51 +1100 (EST)

On the Subject of Solstices...

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> Elder Secrets states that the days are 12 hours long. It however
> has been gregged by the GRAY which states solstices occur.
> The Longest Day occurs at Yelm's High Holy Day (ie Fire day, Harmony
> Week in Fire Season) and is 16 hours long. The Shortest Day would
> then occur in Fireday, Illusion Week of Dark Season and is a mere 8
> hours long.

Jesper Wahrner wrote

> Hmm. We have always played that days and nights always are of equal length
> and that seasonal variety stems from some sort of elemental dominance.

[SNIP]
> There can still be some sort of solstices this way; those days that
> the particular elements power is at its peak (ie Yelms HH-day) after
> which it starts to decline.

I Lurve that idea! If Jespers model is the go, should the darkseason ssolstice be on Darkday instead, or the Subere H-Holyday (whatever that is).

Maybe a combination of the two. maybe the way the ancients classified 'day', according to luminosity (sp?) rather than dusk/dawn cycles. Maybe things are different from the old days!? After all... the Magic changed!

Peter T

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #201