Spirits and Souls

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 00:18:10 GMT

Lorne D. Booker wants to know:

> In Glorantha, is a players spirit the same as her soul?

Ahhh, a very good question. I'll confuse matters even more by pointing out that Greg has said that (IIRC) the West of Genertela represents the world's mind, the East her spirit and the central lands her soul. That means he sees some difference but I'm buggered if I know what it is.

> If they are different, do characters exist concurrently on the physical =
> plane (body and soul) and the spirit plane (in spirit form)? =20

Well, IMHO, the non-physical part of the person (Mind and Soul) are bound into the physical part while they are alive and it needs special abilities to perceive and interact with the spirit plane while you are alive.

> When someone dies her soul goes to the place prepared by her god. Does =
> the spirit also make that journey?

Again in my opinion, the 'spirits' on Glorantha's spirit plane are those souls which fail to make it to any sort of protected afterlife. But see above and remember (to confuse matters still further) that the Not-Ready-To-Be-Official- Writings of GRoY and THE FORTUNATE SUCCESSION have Yelmic culture believing in several different sorts of non-physical spirit and soul having to go towards making a person.

> The reason why I ask this is because I am wondering how spirits would =
> feel about being summoned. Grandfather Jed might not like to be hauled =
> from the promised land (assuming that it is a nice place) if his spirit =
> resides there. He would probably have to be dragged kicking and =
> screaming to the mundane plane. If his spirit is drifting in the spirit =
> plane he might not view it as a nuisance.

Well, if he's called by Summon Ancestor then the spell allows for him being happy and co-operative ("Ahh, young Fred nice to see you again!"), neutral ("I'll give you a hand if you do something for me.") and hostile ("You bastard! I was about to prong the Sacred Virgin! We only get a shot at it once every thousand years!")

And on the third hand I seem to recall that the process of the seven days after death strips most of a person of their past life and makes them into a spirit entity entirely. So how they felt about someone in their earthly life may have no effect whatever.

Yes, I'm aware that I've just confused the situation.....

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.