various

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:54:00 -0800

Hey All -

Very thoughtful work on Idkaz. I think I'd use your version if the need ever arose in a campaign. (Alkothi PC's, take note!)

>V.S Greene

> I don't buy any notion that every people's world concept can be totally
different and unrelated and yet everyone is still the Truth.

What isTruth, even in the real world?

Science? No way. HONEST scientists admit that they only craft theories, and then try to disprove them. Newton was Truth until Einstein showed up. Then Einstein was Truth until we stumbled on to quantum theory and the more modern theories of physics. If we now assume that THOSE are the Truth, then we haven't learned very much, have we?

For that matter, do we even have the right tools to discover the Truth behind our universe? All we have is our senses, which have very limited ranges of perception. Even the machines we build to transduce environment into bits we can perceive and quantify only extend our senses. And Martin Crim made an ecxellent point about how using science as a tool will only enable us to find measureable things.

>(Yep, postmodernists are living in a fantasy world :-)

Sorry, but we're ALL living in a fantasy world. The impulses we do perceive are sent to our brains, which use a great deal of imagination to interpret those electical impulses into a model of our surroundings. If you and I both see light of a certain wavelength, does it register exactly the same in our different brains? How do we know? How will we ever find out?

(BTW, I AM scientist, but one of my favorite books is "Horton hears a Who", so maybe that has tained me...)

>It hits me that the RQII and RQIII stuff can be looked at written by a
Lhankhor Mhy Sage who got ahold of some God Learner materials; the core mythos seems to be very Orlanthi.

Bingo.

I had crafted my own expalation for all this, But Peter M. and Nick B. have already posted it most elegantly. It seems that V.S. Greene (firstname?) has been converted sucessfully to the joyful folds of Gloranthan Cultural Perspective.

Nick:

>Verithurusa TN Godsday (Full Half), Motion week
>Lesilla JW Freezeday (Crescent Going), Illusion week
>Gerra QD Waterday (Dying Moon), Illusion week
>Rashorana DX Clayday (Black Moon), Illusion week
>Orogeria YT Windsday (Crescent Coming), Illusion week
>Natha IO Fireday (Empty Half), Illusion week
>Zaytenara RG Wildday (Full Moon), Illusion week

Thanks! Useful for me. Now the tricky question:

Given that the DH's use a four season calendar completely divorced of the Manirian/Godlearner runic elements, any ideas when these holidays are in that calendar? Can we assume that the Lunars would use this more native calendar, rather than some twisted calendrical abomination invented by a bunch of unwashed savages with a scant 1700 year history?

I loved the "Chorus of Beasts" costumes!

Why are all the runes owned by Orlanthi deities?

Because, for the most part, the "runes" are a Manirian/Godlearner construct. The DH's and the Kralorelans don't use the Orlanthi runes. They do have many sacred symbols of their own, and a very few of these overlap with the Orlanthi - (a circle for Sun, a square for Earth), but that's about it. This overlap could be due to ancient historical contacts between the cultures, or to universal Glorantha truths - whatever fits your Glorantha.

Pam

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #202