various replies

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:37:38 -0800

Shamans might not be literate, but surely they draw pictures to help them remember the many spirits they deal with, and to help teach their apprentices.

Christoph Luehr wondered

> How is a asociated cult represented in the temple of the major cult ?
> Is there a small romm with a small statue in it ? Are there small
> pictures of the god ?

I'm sure it varies. In my game, the Orlanth temple in Kilwin has separate buildings for each subcult or associated deity. Most temples though simply put a shrine in a corner of the room, next to the main shrine, or in a separate room.

James Frusetta replied

> > 3. Obscure arguments on what colour Zorak Zoran's eyes were
> Hey, who sez he has eyes?

His ocular capacity is not obscure. He has three [Prosopaedia, p.20].

Martin Crim wondered

> What's the Dara Happan answer to William of Occam?

It strikes me the God Learners were Occamists par excellence: "Two different earth goddesses? Must be the same." Too bad that in Glorantha, it's a two-edged Razor.

Peter Metcalfe wrote of runes

> CHAOS: This is apparently related to the Dara Happan Rune for
> Artia, the Bat Planet.

BTW, I think of the runes we know as being essentially the First Council version. Presumably the Theyalans had a slightly different set before they met the Dara Happans. I think the Dara Happans modified their runes less (though they must have made some changes). Anyway, it was the Council where they noticed the similarities: Air, Earth, Fire, Water (note Blue Moon or Berneel portion of Yelm on p.92), Darkness, Dragonewt (OK, the Dara Happan version just has the triangle).

If I may resort to unpublished notes, Oria is basically the Fertility rune, and Terminatus the Death rune. Oslira is half the current Water rune. Kazkurtum is a rune which is sort of a cross between the Chaos rune and the antenna guy (GRoY.91) -- easily adaptable to the current Chaos rune. Umatum isn't quite as spirally as Orlanatus. As mentioned, Vantestos is the Mastery rune (like his hat on the Gods Wall). So there are more similarities than the ones you can easily derive from GRoY.