stuff

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:25:43 +1300

Donald Wachenschwanz:

>Does anyone know what the relative wind strengths would be for NW
>Pamaltela (Slon) during Fire Season and Dark Season? I understand that
>during Sea Season they are perfect for sailing, during Earth Season they
>are very weak, and during Storm Season, well....

I imagine Slon is rather unsuitable for sailing as it lies behind the Malasp infested Brown Sea and the Sea of Worms. In addition, hot winds forged from the furnace of the sea of flame blows northward and carry the foul fetid swamp air of the Porlaso and the Hornilio that makes men ill and rots the ship riggings.

In the winter, the North Wind can subdue the malarious Winds of the South, but from whence shall the ships sail? Nay, the only way too and fro the Dwarve Isle is with the Cement Ships of the Slon Decamony. All else is but a fool's errand.

Michael Cule:

>I'll confuse matters even more by pointing out
>that Greg has said that (IIRC) the West of Genertela represents the
>world's mind, the East her spirit and the central lands her soul. That
>means he sees some difference but I'm buggered if I know what it is.

WEST: Seeks to understand the Cosmos through intellectual means.

CENTRAL: Seeks to understand the Cosmos through communication with

        the Gods.

EAST: Seeks to understand the Cosmos through modifying one's own

        nature.

But then I could be wrong.

Pam Carlson:

>Given that the DH's use a four season calendar completely divorced of
>the Manirian/Godlearner runic elements [...] Can we assume that the
>Lunars would use this more native calendar, rather than some twisted
>calendrical abomination invented by a bunch of unwashed savages with
>a scant 1700 year history?

As the Lunar Way is intended to be a prosetylizing religion intended to convert people, it makes sense to me for the Tarshites and the Lunar Provincial Government to be using the old theyalan calender rather than piss off the locals.