Fall of the House of Malan LARP

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:47:33 -0800

Mike Mittmann wrote recently:

>Could I convince the people who are running the LARPs at this summer's
>con to describe the larps in more detail so that I ( and the cast of
>thousands who are planning this summer's activities) can decide which of
>the larps we want to try to sign up for.

Well, Mike, as the co-author of this summer's fabulous Fall of the House of Malan LARP (along with the internationally renowned Canadian Neil Robinson) I shall take up the challenge of describing this LARP in more detail.

The Fall of the House of Malan is a LARP designed for 40-50 people (yes there is room for you!) that centers on the political intrigue surrounding the successor to the feared King Mad-Blood Malan.

Think Hamlet and Macbeth. Think Goodfellas and the Godfather (you know when Marlon Brando is still in charge). Think Der Ring (you know when everything goes to hell). Add a little bit of Rob Roy and Braveheart (mainly the battle scenes). Throw this tragic and vicious mix into 1350s Dragon Pass - before there was a Sartar, before the arrival of the Lunar Empire, before the Opening - there were the cruel and ambitious folk that made Dragon Pass the wonderful place we all know and love. This is your opportunity to play in a LARP straight out of King of Sartar (and hinted at in internationally renowned creation of PenDragon Pass David Dunham's Korol Saga) - Orlanthi politics at its finest!

Of course it's not just politics - there's going to be combat, love, ritual, myth and the ever present quest to gain more cattle (for all of you that know the Seattle Farmers Cooperative obsession with cows)!

>For instance how serious is the LARP (as silly as long ago and far away or
as tense as a game of >diplomacy?)

Good Question. Fall of the House will be as tense as a 40 player game of Diplomacy, yet as silly as Robert Plant. . . I mean Seattle's Internationally Renowned South African - Dave Pearton!!!!! Or maybe David Dunham's pig poetry. In other words, this LARP will have something for everybody! We certainly have a character for almost any taste. Hey even the globe-spanning Martin "I'll talk about the Red Vadeli" Laurie has a character!

>What kind of people are going to be in the larp? (everyone is a king,
diplomat, or hero, or proper >costumes would require a roll through manure).

Hey this is an ORLANTHI LARP. We're all farmers. . . right? OK, heroic farmers maybe. Actually there will be several kings, a gaggle of chiefs and priests, a handful of Humakt worshipping weapons-thanes, godi and priestesses, AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF BARNTAR-BLESSED CARLS!!! And anybody who is familiar with my award-winning Taming of Dragon Pass campaign knows that its the carls that have the real fun!

Fall of the House of Malan has a large number of quality roles for women - the more women that sign up the better. Ernalda does run the show after all (and if anyone doubts that - read Pullitzer Prize winner Pam Carlson's Theya stories!).

Unfortunately Canadian Customs frowns on foreigners with a manure motif:<

>How large is the "playing field"? ( is the whole LARP taking place in the
>court of the emperor, or will we visit the Castle of Lead, Bad Deal, and
>the Palace of the Emperor of Summer?)

Fall of the House of Malan has six locations - Two Ridge Fort, the Malani Tribal Assembly grounds, the Halls of the Chiefs, and the wild outside!  Come visit Dragon Pass before Sartar civilized it and ruined its untamed rustic nature.

Send your registration soon to Neil Robinson at "neilr_at_wolfnet.com" and Neil will send you a character sign-up sheet. Since Victoria Con is blessed with the presence of not one, but two LARPS, top character choices will go to those folk who aren't in the Life of Moonson LARP. However, we can all but guarantee (hey I am a lawyer) that everybody who wants to be in a top-quality first rate LARP will get to do it at Victoria Con!

PS: Some of the aforementioned titles may be somewhat inflated by traditional Orlanthi poetic exaggeration. Just a bit.